Thursday, 26 March 2015

Dental Implants

What are they for?


There may be a number of reasons why you might consider a dental implant. You might have lost a tooth or teeth through gum disease or infection, you may have a natural genetic gap in your teeth or you may have had an accident that caused a loss of one or more teeth. Whatever the reason, the resulting gap or hole can cause many problems. Food may be more likely to get caught in the space in your teeth and the exposed gum is more liable to infection and decay. The gap in your teeth may cause you to whistle when you talk or have trouble or pain when eating. Or it might be simply, that the gap in your smile makes you feel self-conscious and embarrassed. Whatever the problems, having a dental implant installed can solve many of those problems.

Why have an implant?


A dental implant fits permanently into your jaw like your other teeth and can last a lifetime if cared for properly. The dental implant looks and feels just like your other teeth and does not need to be removed for cleaning. Unlike with a bridge, with a dental implant the neighbouring teeth do not have to be filed down, nor do they carry extra weight. Implants can be used to replace a single tooth or even your whole smile, according to what suits your needs.

What is a dental implant?


A dental implant is formed of two parts: the implant root itself, and a crown that fits on top. The implant root is a titanium rod that fits into your jaw and like the root of your real teeth, it holds the false tooth in place. Fitted to the top of the implant root is a crown that will be designed to match and fit in with your other teeth. If you are having more than one tooth replaced, one implant can be used to support several crowns. 

What's the procedure?


The first step is to make an appointment with your local dentist  to evaluate whether a dental implant is the best treatment for you. This will include x-rays of your mouth. The x-rays will indicate whether your jaw will support an implant. If your jaw isn't strong enough or healthy enough it might not be possible to perform an implant. The x-rays will also provide a map of your jaw, which will guide the specialist who performs your implant procedure, so that he can plan the best position for your implant. Your dentist will also make impressions of your teeth so that they can create a model of your bite. The dentist will use this model to design the new tooth or teeth, so that it complements the rest of your bite.

Next you will have an appointment with a specialist to have your implant root fitted. When that has healed, which takes six to twelve weeks, the crown or crowns will be fitted by your dentist. They will have been uniquely designed to match the rest of your teeth in shape and colour.

Over the next few months your dentist will want to see you regularly to ensure that there are no problems.

It will be very important to care for your implants just as you would for your real teeth, brushing and flossing carefully at least twice a day to keep them clean and healthy.

Who is it suitable for?


Dental implants are not suitable for everyone. If you have long term diabetes, osteoporosis, or radiotherapy, a dental implant may not be suitable for you. Your dentist will advise you on whether a dental implant is the best way forward for you.

Whether you need a single new tooth to fill a small gap in your smile or whether you need a whole new set of teeth, call in to one of our  dentists  today for specialist advice on getting a dental implant.

What our patients say:


After losing a tooth I really struggled with eating, I would choke on food that hadn't been chewed because it was stuck in the gap between my teeth. After literally biting my tongue far too many times I went to Kings Heath Midlands Smile Centre for a Dental Implant.

The staff talked to me about the work first then I went home and researched the procedure and the track record of Kings Heath Midlands Smile Centre. Happy with what I found out I came back and had the implant.

The initial consultation went really well. The dentist thought I had a good amount of bone to implant with and my nerves were not in any danger of getting in the way. I found Midlands Smile Centres Dental Implant Centre to be outstanding, the dentist was both friendly and professional. All the staff were really nice and made me feel valued.

The procedure went really well and I must say I'm so glad I got my dental implant and I'm so glad I had it done by Midlands Smile Centres. I'm really happy to recommend them to other people”

Jon - Bournville

Call  Dental Implants Birmingham  today to arrange a free consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment